Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default Best way to add graphics and tables in a document

Hi Dimitris

wrote:
I have never used inline figures before, and don't like them because
they move with text, so whenever I add a few more paragraphs, some of
them are inevitably pushed to the next page. However, I guess the
nuissance will be less compared to adding graphics otherwise, since all
I have to do to correct misplacements is copy and paste to an earlier
paragraph (compared to the nearly random rearrangements Word does
otherwise). So, I will try that too.

Just make sure that the style you're using for your pictures is set to
"Keep with Next" (Paragraph property). This way, Word will not separate
the picture and following caption paragraph. Yes, if you have large
pictures, some big gaps will occur on the lower half of some pages of
your document. If you do not like that, ignore it till the end, then do
one final pagination run through your document.

What is the best way for adding tables? Should I put them in text
boxes, or just add them inline, as well?

Inline.

On a more general comment, I keep wondering how can people write entire
manuals or books in Word. Do you guys use a single document? It must be
a nightmare having 1,000 pages and hundreds of pictures and tables. Am
I missing something?

It sometimes is! :-)

But it's a nuissance to compile individual documents together, as well
(and you need good macros to keep your numbering straight).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS