Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

Default Mail merge/double inverted commas problem

Thanks for your responses,
I am using Find (double inverted commas) and Replace (with two apostrophes)
in my Excel sheet to solve the problem.

Do you know if there are any other characters that Word does not "like" in a
mail merge?
--
Thanks again,
MarkN

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To work around this, either use two apostrophes in the Excel file or (in
this case, where you seem to be using " for "inches") use an inch mark
instead (the double-prime character at Unicode glyph 2033).

"MarkN" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using Office 2000. I have created a merge document in Word that uses

an
Excel sheet as its data source.

The Excel data source contains about 30 columns, one column is a list of
products, some of which include entries that contain double inverted

commas
(eg. My 48" Product). When I insert this merge field and perform the

merge,
records with no double inverted commas are fine, but records that include
double inverted commas are not being included in the final merged document

at
all. In other words, I am only getting 359 of 389 records. If I remove the
double inverted commas from one of the records in the Excel sheet and run

the
merge again, this extra record appears!

I would be very grateful if anybody could shed any light on this problem

as
while trying to solve this I have tried a couple of simple examples where

the
data source records include double inverted commas and I am getting some
unusual results in all cases.

--

Thanks,
MarkN