Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How can I stop Office 2007 shutting down when I close a file?

Word 2007 closes down when you close the last open document, by clicking the
cross in the right corner of the title bar. There is nothing you can do to
change that.

You could uncheck Word Options Advanced Display Windows in Task Bar,
which would give you the windowed documents within Word and the double XX
that you alluded to.
OR
Use CTRL+F4 or CTRL+W to close documents.

Dreambuyer wrote:
New to Office 2007, but long-time Office user. I've read solutions
for Office 2003 but am hoping for a change in set-up or something
that only requires one click. I don't have a double XX in upper right
hand corner. Any solutions?