Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default normal keyboard keys are doing strange things

The 'boxes' you describe pop up when you hit the ALT key which is adjacent
to the z key. Are you activating the Alt key when accessing z? Or is the Alt
key sticking, or have you activated sticky keys in Windows Accessibility
Options?

Hilary wrote:
sorry I wasn't clear. Part of it is because I am unclear what is
happening, and because the problem does not seem consistent. Let me
try again...

I have a document that I have been working on in Word 2007 pulled up
right now. When I type the letter "z" into the document, the letter
"z" appears where the cursor is (as you would expect) but also, along
the tool bars at the top, a bunch of boxes with individual letters
appear over each of the tabs...an "H" over the Home tab, an "N" over
the insert tab, and so on.

at other times, using the letter "p" would cause some other function
to start(can't remember now, it is acting normally at this time), and
the "[" key would highlight a bunch of text.

The strangest part is that it is erratic - is it possible that the
keyboard is going bad, or am I sometimes triggering these keys to
have these functions without knowing it?

Thanks for your help...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

It is unclear what is happening, exactly. If you want to get rid of
automatic spell checking, clear the "Check spelling as you type"
option in the Word Options dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote:

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens.
sometimes the letter will actually type, but then some other
feature (it is spell check for the letter p) kicks in and I have to
hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn
them off again.