Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Text Over Picture

Think about it: If you didn't have the picture behind the text, you wouldn't
be able to place the cursor anywhere on the page and type, either. And
that's what you're doing--just entering text in a document that happens to
have a background picture. Either enable (shudder) "Click and type," which
will allow you to type anywhere (double-click where you want to type), or
use normal text placement techniques (tabs, indents, Space Before), or
insert text boxes or frames to contain the text.

"Mike" wrote in message
Thanks macropod,

I tried putting the image in a header, but it doesn't work. I just get
the "grab" icon when I click any place in the image.

I don't know why "text through image" and "send behind text" don't do the
job.

I have been able to overtype the form just as you would do with a
typewriter: enter key, tab keys, space bar and alpha/num keys. But I
can't just put the cursor anywhere on the form and type - again, I just
get the "grab" cursor anywhere I click with the mouse.

To get to a spot, say in the middle of the form, I have to hit enter key
(cursor starts at top left of the form) 15 or 20 times to get it to the
line I want and then tab or space over to the location on that line.

Should be and interesting experiment for someone to test. Just scan any 8
1/2 by 11 paper and try to get it to work.

Thanks again

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Mike,

You could put the image into the document header, rather than the body.
Then you should be able to type over it in the normal manner.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Mike" wrote in message
I scanned a vendor form as a .jpg and inserted it as a full page into
Win07. I "sent the picture to the back." I want to print over the pic
(fill out the form), print it and send it back to the vendor. I can't
move the cursor with the mouse, but it will respond to the tab, space and
left-arrow keys. I would like to be able to type over the pic in the
normal fashion of entering text.

Any solution or suggestion?

PS: I didn't scan by OCR because the form has graphics and bar codes,
etc.