Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Hamish,

My Insert Auto Text option for my headers and footers is greyed out and
I cannot activate it.

When you're in the header/footer, check the name of the style for the
current selection. Is it "Header" (or "Footer")? If not, this explains
why the list isn't active. "Categorized" AutoText is
style-context-dependent. If the style name doesn't match the AutoText
Category, the entries won't appear in the list; if the list is empty,
it's not enabled.

Either apply the Header (or Footer) style to the text. Or go to
Insert/AutoText/AutoText and you should be able to insert any AutoText
entry you wish.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org