Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Is "extend selection" mode supposed to work across embedded objects in Word 2010?

i agree: holding Shift and clicking at the end of the selection should do
the trick in most cases...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Me, I've never tried to use F8; I simply put the cursor at the start of
the selection, scroll to the end of the selection, and Shift-click at the
end
point.

Your selections seem too big to try simply Shift-dragging.

On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:05:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2014 3:39:12 AM UTC-7, Stefan Blom wrote:

What you are trying to do should work, assuming that Text Wrapping for
the
picture is "In line with text." Such pictures are treated as (large)
text
characters.

Thanks for you help so far, but it turns out the problem is not related
to pictures, but there's still a problem. Here's what I know now: I
have a large, fairly complicated document (sections, bookmarks,
footnotes, fields,etc). There are regions even of straight text that I
can't select with the Extended Selection mode --- I left-click the
mouse, press F8, Extend Selection shows on the status bar, but as soon
as I scroll with the mouse wheel, Extend Selection disappears from the
status bar. Now the next thing I tried is copying the "difficult
region" into a new (and therefore simpler) blank document. I select the
text to be copied by just left-dragging with the mouse to select it and
then copying it into a new document. Now everything works as desired in
the new document --- the mouse wheel does not turn off the Extend
Selection mode. But it still does (the mouse wheel turns off the Extend
Selection mode) in the large complex original document. My conclusion is
that there is something about the size/complexity of the original
document that's causing the problem. Any ideas? Other parameters that
are set or unset in the original that are not set the same way in a new
blank document which is why the different behavior in the
extracted/copied document? Wish I could post a sample document with the
problem, but I can't --- the documents with the problems are pretty
large, small extracts into new documents don't have the problem.