~zeng

hi Suzanne:

thanks for the reply and sorry for posting a duplicate question in another
forum coz I didn't know where it belongs to.

Sounds like the user has done it the hard way, by creating individual
cross-references to the headings, some of them broken (which I suspect
you'll have to fix by reinserting the cross-references).

when you say he/she did in the hard way , then is there an easy way to go
about it like the way you generate a TOC?

and indeed I'll have to fix the broken links, but I just don't know where to
find those references then edit them. do I have to create my own bookmarks
and then let the items in the table to refer ot them? the ideal is just to
restore the broken links without leaving my trace in it since I don't own the
doc.

If you bookmark the chapter, you can use an ordinary TOC the same way (and I
would think you could put it in a table cell). See "A partial table of
contents" in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

someone in one of these forums did ask about partial TOC and read your
response, I will have a second look again.

someone mentionned you can copy the field code in TOC into the table by
Ait-F9 -ing, which I did, but got only "Table of Contents" instead of the
field code. I think if I can directly copy the field code for the TOC at the
beginning of hte article, it would be much easier. but how?

thanks