Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default ! cannot be found

Norton has problems of its own. Have you tried unchecking its office
plug-in, which conflicts with a number of aspects of Word performance and
does nothing useful?

Bruce wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't either. This is a fresh install. The first
thing installed was WinXP. The second was Norton. The third was
office. The behavior began then.

Bruce..

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Clearly you haven't removed them all. COM add-ins are listed
separately from DOT add-ins. Safe mode loads Word without add-ins or
the default template. Rename normal.dot and if the problem remains
you still have some add-in (or part of one) that is causing trouble.
Unfortunately without knowing what you have installed (or
uninstalled) that's as far as I can go at this distance.

Bruce wrote:
Graham,

If you look at my initial post, you will find that I already deleted
all of the add-ins. The behavior remains the same.

Bruce..

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You probably have a COM add-in?

From Word help:

Load or unload a Component Object Model (COM) add-in program

If you are not a developer, you probably will not need to load or
unload a Component Object Model (COM) add-in because most COM
add-ins include an install and uninstall program that loads or
unloads the add-in for you.

1. If you have already added the COM Add-Ins command to the Tools
menu, skip to Step 6.

2. On the Tools menu, click Customize, and then click the Commands
tab.

3. In the Categories box, click Tools.

4. Drag COM Add-Ins from the Commands box over the Tools menu. When
the Tools menu displays the menu commands, point to the location
where you want the COM Add-Ins command to appear on the menu, and
then release the mouse button.

5. Click Close.

6. On the Tools menu, click COM Add-Ins and do any of the
following:

To load an add-in, select the check box next to the add-in name in
the Add-Ins available list. If the add-in you want isn't in the
Add-Ins available list, click Add, locate the add-in, and then
click OK.

To unload an add-in from memory but keep its name in the list,
clear the check box next to the add-in name.

To remove an add-in from the list and also from the list of
registered add-ins in the registry file, select its name, and then
click Remove.

Note Unloading or removing an add-in doesn't remove it from your
computer.

Bruce wrote:
Graham,

Thank you for your response. I have done everything in those
links with no change. I even uninstalled Office, deleted the
install directory, and reinstalled, but the behavior is the same.
When I start up in safe mode, I do not get the error, so
something is getting loaded that is causing the error. When I
look at the addins, there were no addins listed in Word, however
the registry showed some addin keys. I renamed them, but that
did not change the behavior. Is there a way to start word so I
can see what is being loaded when?

Bruce..

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Bruce wrote:
When I start WinWord2003, I get two errors that say something
cannot be found, but it does not say what. I only get the
triangle with the exclaimation point and the words cannot be
found. I have looked at the add-ons, and removed all of them,
so it should not be trying to load something else. This is a
part of a clean install. The only other major thing I am
running is Norton. Is there a way to get WinWord to log
everything it does during startup? Do you have any other
suggestions?