Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Default CGM Graphic Import Problem

Graham,
Thanks for the post. To answer your question the CGM format is widely used
among all the Defense Contractors I have worked for in the past. This file
format has a small file size and produces ultrasharp lines since the artwork
is made up of line objects and not pixels like a JPEG or TIFF file format.
It's exported from apps like ProE, Inventor, AutoCad for use in technical
manuals. The problem I'm supspecting is with WORD. Corel displays ARIAL,
and when I import the CGM file I exported out of COREL into some other app
like Adobe Illustrator the fonts still display as ARIAL. It's only when I
import the COREL CGM export file into WORD that all of the ARIAL fonts get
mysteriously changed to TIMES NEW ROMAN. I'm guessing WORD has to have a
setting some where where one can GLOBALLY set the default font to ARIAL. If
anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

In answer to your first question - no!
I suspect the problem with text conversion is related to the Corel
converter.
Given all the graphics formats you could have chosen, why did you choose
CGM?

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,

I'm importing CGM graphic files into Word for a technical manual I'm
working on. First problem I'm having is that the Thumbnail view in
Word does not show a thumbnail view of the grahic in the Import
Picture Dialog Window. Is there anyway to add CGM graphic format
thumbnail view capability in Word?

Second, I'm editing my CGM illustrations files using Corel Draw and
then export them as CGM. The text in the Corel illustration is
ARIAL. But when I import the CGM illustration into Word for some
reason I don't understand WORD is changing the all the ARIAL fonts
into Times New Roman. Is there anyway to tell WORD that all imported
graphics need to be imported as ARIAL?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.