Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default file naming conventions

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I transcribe cases for Justice Dept. I need to
save
them with names that identify the region, case number and year. I do it
like
this 41-23456-08. My manager has told me that I must use a period before
the
year, like this 41-23456.08. I am sure I once read somewhere that one
should
not use a period in the file name as the name is actually 41-23456-08.doc
and
by putting a period before the "08" it can cause the file to become
corrupt.
Is that correct or would it be in order to name the file 41-23456.08?
Your
advice appreciated.

Changing the file extension doesn't corrupt a file. It does, however, make
it a little more difficult to open outside of the application. All a file
extension really does is "tell" your operating system, such as Windows,
which program it needs to open when you double-click on your Desktop or in
the Windows Explorer, such as My Computer.

These days if you add a period in your file name the extension will not be
changed. Your file will be named 41-23456.08.doc. The Office applications
are pretty protective of their extensions and will automatically add it.
It's more work to force the applications save a file with a different
extension. :-)

--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface: