Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Francis Hookham Francis Hookham is offline

Default Spelling

Many thanks Suzanne - I'll certainly check it out.

Francis

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm for some
avenues to explore.

"Francis Hookham" wrote in message
Word 2000 and 2003

Very strange - a document from my laptop or desktop PC red underlines
misspelled words but my wife's PC does not.

All three computers have Options/Spelling & Grammar tab shows that Check
spelling as you type is still ticked and the CUSTOM.DIC is selected.

Take a Word doc from the PC where spelling DOES NOT work and put it on
one where spelling DOES work and it DOES NOT for that document!

Take a Word doc from the PC where spelling DOES work and put it on one
where spelling DOES NOT work and it DOES for that document!

It seems that the facility for seeing misspelled words and for right
clicking on a misspelled word to choose the correction, is imbedded in
the document itself.

So, is it something to do with the Normal template which produces the
document on each computer?

(I find it hit and miss whether or not I can find where the Normal
template is spirited away by Microsoft - as a second problem, please tell
me how to find it in any PC, wherever someone might have put it)

Thank you

Francis Hookham