jay

"any things are much more difficult "
Please read that as "Many things..."

I was just thinking that there are other software approaches:
Perhaps a photo album software would work, but you probably need a bit
more structure than that, perhaps Table of Contents, header/footer,
etc.
If this is a one-shot deal, then you may not want to use another
software such as Ventura or Frame.
In most approaches that I can think of, you will need to create each
graphic seperately.
Some software (Ventura, probably Frame and others) you can import a
graphic and use it in many places with minimal overhead for the
additional places. By scaling and cropping in the display frames, you
can reduce the number of seperate graphics.
Leaving the graphics external will reduce the size of the file (Word or
any other) but remember: most software will cache a screen image of the
graphic in the document. That's why the doc doesn't just grow by 100
bytes or so when you add a link.
You might be able to put the graphics in EPS format and leave them
external. Older versions of Word couldn't create a preview of the
graphic. Of course, you can't see what they look like without printing
them, either. Further, you won't get decent results (if any) unless you
print to a Postscript printer (or make a PDF).
HTH
Jay