Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Slow startup

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll
unregisters the dll thus disabling it.
You can reverse the process by reregistering it ie remove the /u switch from
the command line.

Ed wrote:
Thanks Terry & Graham.

I moved everything from C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP and
all but normal.dot from C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. Still slow
startup of Word. Changed normal.dot to normal.old and Word starts
fast. After closing Word there is a new copy of normal.dot,
and from then on slow startups.

Also note that on the first startup after removal of normal.dot I can
see "Requesting virus scan..." in the lower bar of the Word
window when I load a document. That takes about 15 seconds. I was
surprised, since I had the AVG Resident shield
turned off. Guess I don't know how to turn it off.

Graham, what does the regsvr32 /u "C:\Program
Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll do? Is it reversible?
Also, how do I check into a Acrobat problem? I do use it.

Thanks again.

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
Whenever I open Word it takes about 15 seconds for it to get beyond
the opening flash. I though it
was AVG doing the Resident Shield check, but I turned that off and
it didn't help.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed