Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Slow startup

Check out your temp folder. When all applications are closed, it should be completely empty. I suggest that from a fresh reboot and before you start any other apps, open the temp folder and delete all its contents.

Then rename normal.dot to normal.bad. Now open Word. Now close Word. Was it fast or slow? After making a change that needs to be saved to normal.dot (say your default page margins or default font), close Word and note the size of normal.dot.

If Word starts to get slower, note the size of normal.dot to see if it is bloating.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Robert" wrote in message ...
Word launches actually much faster, almost instantaneously. So the benefits
are huge as far as I am concerned.
It so happened that Word 2007 was launching slower and slower at each new
run on my system.
Word 2007 might not be working as it is intended by MS but it is now
working to my satisfaction! What more would I want?

This said, I donˇ¦t have any plug-in installed.
And I donˇ¦t understand what might be causing this gradual and persistent
slow-downˇK
I can only think of what you suggested yourself, i.e. that some changes are
systematically saved each time I shut Word down. And they take more time to
load at each new run.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:30:07 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

It might be faster, but it is now incapable of working as intended, so it
is a ridiculous idea.
If Word starts slowly, there is a good reason for it and that is usually to
do with add-ins (though Word 2003 will start slowly next time it is started
after saving a change to normal.dot)