Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott M.[_2_] Scott M.[_2_] is offline

Default breaking passwords on discs containing Word docs

Two things here Beth...

1. When you say that Word documents are more susceptible to corruption when
accessed directly from flash memory, you are, in fact saying that flash
memory is more volitile than HDD memory (which it is not).

2. If you are using the flash memory and Word properly, you are no more in
danger than if you were working off a HDD. The temporary files that are
created by Word are in no more danger of becomming corrupt than if you were
working of the HDD.

-Scott

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
You might want to read up on the temp files Word creates so you're better
informed about how Word works. :-) No one is contending flash memory is
more volatile than HDD memory. What we're contending is due to how Word
creates and manages temp files Word documents become more susceptible to
corruption when working directly off a flash drive than they would in
other applications.

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Scott M." wrote in message
Word creates one (1) temporary file per document that is open. If one
document is open (and why would you need more than one open at a time to
transfer them?), then the file created is no larger than the original
document in the first place.

No, I've been educated and informed enough about the technology to know
how to use it correctly. You cannot provide ANY technical evidence that
using a flash drive correctly is any more prone to file corruption than
HDD media.