Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg Maxey

Default Multiple sub-entries for one main entry

Thanks Peter.

It doesn't appear to be a straight forward process. Since it was just a
whim, I don't think that I am prepared to go wallowing into dark waters.

Cheers

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Hi Greg,

Mailmerge is not really up to this kind of "one-to-many" task. It is
possible to do some stuff - e.g. have a look at CIndy Meister's site at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/, specifically the Mail Merge
FAQ, Special merges, "Multiple items per condition". For the specific
example you mention, I'd be more inclined to do a first pass of some kind,
possibly using VBA and ADO to generate the data source I really needed -
i.e. probably one which had one record for each name in column A and the
exact text I wanted to stuff in in another column.

Peter Jamieson

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mailmerge is definitely not my strong suit. I became curious today to
learn how to do a specific task.

Say I have an Excel spread sheet with names in column A
and some other data in column B. Because there can be one or more data
elements in Column B, some of the A cells are blank. Like this:

Name Fav Color
Fred Red
White
Blue
Bill Green
Yellow
Mary Purple
Gold

Could I use this construction in some way to create a mailmerge like:

Dear Fred,

Your favority colors are red, white, and blue

Dear Bill

Your favorite colors are green and yellow.

Etc.

If not, how would I have to layout the datasource to achieve this.
Thanks.