Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Linguist17 Linguist17 is offline

Default Word is showing the paper as an inch too wide

When I update the table of contents in my dissertation, word changes the
apparent paper size, displaying the page as though it were 9.5 x 11 in.
rather than 8.5 x 11. There are also some landscape pages in the document;
they display as if they were 12 x 8.5. When I try to change the size, the
program behaves as if the size is already correct.

It wouldn't really be a problem, but it also screws up any .pdf I try to make.