Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Yve Ke Yve Ke is offline

Default page break interferes with header location

But I don't see any extra paragraph mark in there. I think there is something
siginificant in the fact that the scroll box bounces down a bit even as the
cursor is at the same location for the odd and even header. What does the
little black signify and how do you show text boundaries?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're using different odd and even headers, there's a good chance you
copy/pasted text from one to the other. This is another pitfall. No matter
how carefully you select all but the paragraph mark when copying and select
the existing paragraph mark when pasting, Word will still always paste an
extra paragraph mark, giving you an extra, empty paragraph. That might be
what's causing your problem. It is, of course, much easier to troubleshoot
such issues if you have nonprinting characters displayed, and easier still
if you have text boundaries displayed.

"Yve Ke" wrote in message
Thank you that was very helpful. I have removed all manual pagebreaks and
changed the format like you said. BUT i still notice that when i flick

from
odd to even header that my text on odd butts right up to the header area

and
my text on even doesn't. There doesn't seem to be a lurking enter. What i

do
notice though is that my scroll box in the scroll bar jumps down a little
when I switch between odd and even. SO there is still uneven page tops

across
my manual. I am now starting to think it maybe a header and footer thing.
I've checked my para spacing after and that is identical.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you insert a manual page break, you (a) split the table (which

prevents
any heading rows from repeating) and (b) inserts an empty paragraph

above
the table on the second page. To avoid both results, instead select the

row
you want to be at the top of the second page and format it as "Page

break
before" (Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph). Unless you're
absolutely positive you always want a page break just there, it's better

keep rows together using "Keep with next" formatting. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Yve Ke" wrote in message
i have been making a procedures manual and I have noticed that when i

put
in
a hard page break (because i don't want a table to split acorss a

page) a
little black box stays on the previous page and it interferes with the
location of the first line of text on the new page. I am getting

uneven
tops
of pages depending on whether there is a page break on the page

before.
It
is slight but it is annoying.
Can anyone help?