Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default Quirk in W2003 grammar

it should be "happen very fast"

Actually it should be "happen very quickly" ;-)

The grammar checker is far from perfect and, whilst it will probably improve
over time, is likely to remain so. In general, it struggles with constructs
of the sort you are using as examples, which can't easily be parsed.

Not knowing quite how to interpret the sentence, Word has to make some
guesses. Given that the sentence has several possible nouns, several
possible verbs, no obvious adjectives, and appears somewhat odd on the
surface, my *guess* is that it assumes "movie" to be an adjective,
downloads" to be the verb, and "happens" to be a noun, which assumptions
allow it to consider the sentence to be valid.

Yes, it happens to be wrong, but we all make mistakes, one of which would be
relying on machine interpretations of language.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"L. Mohan Arun" wrote in message
I am sick and tired of the irritable and provoking replies in this
thread so my grammar has slipped up. This thread is not about my
grammar, it is about Word 2003 grammar.

More issues with Word 2003 grammar
These downloads is super-fast and free.

- Grammar error not recognized even though "download" is not a mass
noun.

The movie file downloads happens very fast

- No grammar issue recognized but it should be "happen very fast"