Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dca dca is offline

Default Numbering paragaphs in an outline list

Hey Shauna,

Thank you for such a fast response! I read a lot of your stuff today when
search round for this and found it really helpful.

I take your points about the purpose of the document; that does make good
sense.

Sorry to be dumb but I can't work out which part in the reference you gave
refers to giving the body text paragraphs the numbers, in the form 1.2.2 etc.
The only way I have been able to do that is to make them take a heading
style. The bit I am really stuck on is how to number the Body Text paragraphs
so they aren't in one long list, i.e. so that they take the first two level
numbers from the Level they are in, and then the next number is sequential
within that Level.

(BTW, Heading 1 without a number is just for a chapter heading so I know
that makes it a bit confusing - essentially what I really want to do is to
make Body Text paragraphs have the right number in the beginning of the
paragraph.)

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi dca

The technique to follow to set up the numbering is described at
Use page numbering and let the text flow from page to page
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/concepts/pagenumbers/

You can substitute Body Text for Heading 4 if you choose. I'm not sure
whether using Body Text or Heading 4 is the "right" way to do this, but when
I have to choose, I consider things like:

- are likely to copy and paste from this document to others, and if so,
would they expect these paragraphs to be headings or body text?

- how will users format the text when they paste text into this document?

- are you likely to have to save to HTML and if so is it important to get
the semantics right (ie you wouldn't want to mark as a heading material that
really is body text).

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"dca" wrote in message
I am trying to have an outline numbered document in this format, in Word
2003.

Heading 1
1 Heading 2
1.1 Heading 3
1.1.1 Body Text
1.2 Heading 3
1.2.1 Body text
1.2.2 Body text

"Body text" is where the main content of the document is. I can do this
with
the Outliner and just make Heading 4 as a simple looking body text style,
and
it works fine, but thought there might be a "right" way, such as numbering
the Body Text paragpahs sequentially. Does anyone have any comment?