Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

Default disable content copying in a pdf

"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

You don't need a scanner! SnagIt will output to a graphics file that
any half decent OCR software will access directly. And SnagIt will
capture the full page (the full document even), not simply half the
screen.

And yes you are right that 99.9% of people will not want to jump
through hoops. It's the other .1% you should be worried about. I will
repeat (because you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise) that
if you can see it you can copy it.

Just for the hell of it I converted a four page PDF using this process
and the only (Finereader 8) OCR read errors were two superscripted
date ordinals and two misread words. It took less than 10 minutes to
produce a Word document that was close to the original, and with a bit
more time it could have been made indistinguishable. It sounds as
though you need better OCR software.

Hey Graham,
You might try AbbyFineReader 9.0 as you'll enjoy the added PDF
capability. You may then ditch your lame Snagit procedure ;-)

With more than 10,000 articles scanned and OCR'd (not sure how many scans
that amounts to, perhaps three times as many or even more), and also having
used AbbyFineReader 9.0 for a short and every extensive trial,

I'm able to relay to you that there is miniscule difference in the manual
editing differences (recognition) between Omni Page Pro 9.0 (which I've
been using for nearly five years--with the aformentioned extensively
tailored dictionary) and Abby FineReader 9.0.
Both consitenly make/made the same OCR errors.
(as an aside; for the past approximate six month, I've been working on
three-colum text of a near standard 8-12 X 11 pages contained within 80-
year-old periodicals.)

BTW, the same basic software that came with the scanner has been used to
digtize more than 12,000 images as well.

Guess We'll just agree to disagree and move on.

Many thanks for your insights and extensive contribution to this forum and
others.