Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Removing a font override from a style

Is there a way to keep Ctrl-Space from being overridden by its meaning
in Windows Vista? It happens to be the keyboard shortcut that is
assigned automatically for switching to Chinese when the Chinese IME
is installed. (I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly getting
Chinese character input windows!) I set the keyboard shortcut to
(none) in the Regional & Language control panel, but it doesn't stick;
it always reverts to Chinese instead of Reset Char.

The list says that Ctrl-Shift-Z is also Reset Char.

On Feb 6, 7:37*pm, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
Not 100% sure what you're looking for... however, Ctrl+Space removes any
direct character formatting, while Ctrl+Q removes any direct paragraph
formatting.

There are essentially two style elements (ignoring list and table styles) at
any point--paragraph style and character style. Ctrl+Space resets the
character formatting so that the only formatting applied is supplied by the
current character style (whatever it might be, although it's usually Default
Paragraph Font). Ctrl+Q resets the paragraph formatting so that the only
paragraph formatting is supplied by the current paragraph style.

I suspect that Ctrl+Space is what you're looking for, but I found your
discussion a bit hard to follow. Hope this helps...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Zhiroc" wrote in message

I knew it was simple, thanks. However, I also think it might not be the
correct way for this to be done, which is part of the reason I didn't
think
of it...

In my mind, there is a distinct difference between "removing an override"
and "setting the override to the current default". The reason is that it
can
lead to unsuspected behavior. Say I have a generic Heading style that I
use
as a parent style, and I set a child Heading2 style to a different font
size.
Just because I select the same font size as the parent does not
necessarily
mean that I now want it to track the parent's changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Change the font to the one used by Normal.-