Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I stop Word putting big spaces between lines?

You might have a different problem from pjburton42.

Go to Format Paragraph and see if the Line Spacing is set to
something weird instead of a normal "double" or even "single" -- maybe
there's an "exactly" value that's very large. Also check that "Space
After" and "Space Before" are set to 0.

On Aug 20, 1:30*pm, ronaldnuma
wrote:
I did the find and replace ^p^p with ^p which worked fine eliminating the
large gap between lines. However, as soon as I added another line of text,
the same gap reappeared. This happens each time I start a new MSWord
document. How do I eliminate this problem forever.

"grammatim" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:38 pm, pjburton42
wrote:
I scanned a document using OmniPage Pro. and saved it as a Microsoft Word
2000XP.doc *Some lines have very large spaces between them. *I have set
single line spacing. *How do I get proper single line spacing?

Turn on your non-printing characters (click the paragraph mark in the
toolbar) and see if OmniPage didn't insert a bunch of empty paragraphs
between some lines.

Get rid of them with Find and Replace: Find ^p^p (two paragraph marks
in a row), Replace with ^p

There might also be empty spaces in those empty paragraphs -- you can
remove them by Find *^p (that is, type a space before ^p) and again
replace with ^p.

(It wouldn't hurt to first replace all multiple spaces with a single
space -- just Find two spaces and Replace with one space, and repeat
until it tell you it found 0 examples.)-