bud i

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...tRidOfLine.htm .

wanttoknow wrote:

I have read "There is a line in my document that I can't delete because I can't select it. How did it get there, and what can I do about it?

Article contributed by Suzanne Barnhill and Dave Rad" and several other
posts with no success.

I am running Office XP under XP Home Edition.

I am editing a clients Word document that contains that domineering
Horizontal Line so popular in these messages. I have tried the Control + Q,
ensuring there is no Border selected on the previous paragraph, and disabling
the Auto Format As You Type to no avail. Let me list the symptoms.

1) A two inch line exists about 2 inches from the bottom of the 6th page.
2) A quarter inch wide box surrounds the line if Format Characters is
displayed.
3) If I insert CRs in front of it until it auto pages, it becomes a full
width line.
4) The line appears to be part of the header, as it is at the top of all
subsequent pages.
5) When headers are displayed, those on page 7 and following expand an
additional ΒΌ inch to include it.
6) I have no information in any header, but do have a short line and page
number in the footer.
7) It disappears if the text is hidden.
8) I cant select it. I also tried selecting CRs above and below it, but got
bleeped.
9) Cant insert a page break with Control + Enter in page 7 and all
following. The insert menu has grayed out Break, Page Numbers, Comments,
Diagrams, and Text Box.
10) When I click on the line, the cursor is displayed on the following line
of text.
11) I have also tried the anti-formatting and Control + Q thing on the
preceding Headers and Footers.

Sighhhhhhh! I am now awaiting your magic wand to tell me what I have done
did or didn't done.

- bud i -