Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kaysee

Default Why do Word documents open as "read only?"

I have a number of Word documents (such as letters) that I re-use by opening
the document, changing dates, addressees, etc. and saving under a new name.
Lately since we switched over to Word 2003, once I have made one change to a
document and saved it, the next time I open it, it opens as "read only."

I have looked under Tools/Options/Security, and the read-only box is not
checked. I have also right-clicked the name of the document and clicked on
Properties, and read-only is not checked there either. I end up saving it
again under a new name and then deleting one of the copies, so this is not
fatal, but it is certainly a pain.

Is there some way to stop this from happening?