Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I bind a minus sign to a number to remain on same line?

I take no position on the special nonbreaking hyphen character at
2011. Didn't Word have such a thing before Unicode was invented, so it
would still use its old technique rather than try to accommodate the
new invention?

Selecting a nonbreaking hyphen inserted the traditional way yields no
code at all with Alt-X, showing that it is indeed a Word artifact and
not a special character. (Likewise for soft hyphen.)

On Jan 20, 9:03*am, DeanH wrote:
Hi Peter.
All the fonts are standard MS issue, the only addition is a corporate font
based on Helvetica. The fonts I have tried in the symbol listing include
Arial, TNR, Helvetica, and the corporate font, as well as (normal text) and
the option for 2011, Alt+X does not appear.
I tend to work with Non-printing Characters always showing and the
Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen does look like an En Dash, only a little thinner if viewed
at high zoom (200%).
Correct the optional hyphenation sign is the NOT sign (00AC or Shft+`).
DeanH

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Are you using a font from a less than reputable source? Have you tried
the standard fonts?

When you have typed Ctrl-Shift-Hyphen and Show Non-Printing
Characters, do you see an en-dash? (Similarly, the optional hyphen
used for forcing a word to break at only a specific point, Ctrl-
Hyphen, shows up as logical-not sign.)

On Jan 20, 6:28 am, DeanH wrote:
Hi Yves and Peter, many thanks for you comments, and yes I have never really
been happy with the Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen. The U+2212 works well and is
non-breaking as you say, but I tend not to use minus signs that much in my
work.
Nnon-breaking hypens I do, unfortunately the U+2011 does not bring up the
hyphen but a square box. Checking my Symbol listing and 2011 is not in the
General Punctuation listing, going from 200F (Right to Left Mark) to 2013 (En
Dash).
Any ideas?
DeanH

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Hyphen isn't acceptable as a minus sign (en-dash, which is Ctrl-minus
on the keypad, is) -- but Suzanne has discovered (and I confirmed)
that the minus sign identified by Yves _is_ a non-breaking minus. Type
2212 on the regular keyboard and press Alt-X. If you're going to use
it a lot, open Insert Symbol (if the character is selected, Insert
Symbol will open right to it) and assign a keyboard shortcut (button
left of middle on the bottom of the Insert Symbol panel).

On Jan 19, 10:37 am, DeanH wrote:
You use a Non-Breaking-Hyphen. Press Ctrl+Shft+Hyphen to create.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"baugd" wrote:
I want to bind a minus sign to a number so that the entire construct remains
on the same line and not split between two lines (e.g., -21% on same line
versus - on one line and 21% on next line).

Thanks,
Drew Baughman-