Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Inserting pages in document being indexed

Yes, if you're relying on Mark All, you should have all the text
present at one time. The alternative is to mark individual items as
you write. That usually produces a better index, anyway -- people
don't want to wade through 20 references to a term to find the one
where it's defined.

The Alt+F9 keystroke is supposed to toggle *all* field codes in the
document. As a test, use Insert Field to insert something simple,
like a Page field, in the first line of the document. Does Alt+F9
toggle that? If not, the keystroke may have become unassigned. If
that's the case, you can reassign it -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm.

The other way to toggle all field codes is to go to Tools Options
View and check/uncheck the Field Codes box.

One other "too obvious" question: Can you see the index that should be
the result of the Index field?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:43:01 -0700, Jeannie
wrote:

Many thanks for this. I assume that your advice would be to insert all the
chapters into the document so that the Mark All command works through to the
end of the document.
Also, Alt+F9 is not working to reveal the index field code. I've used the
InsertReferenceIndex and TablesIndex tab to insert the Index so that I can
keep tabs on what I have. Should I be doing something in ToolsOptions to
enable Alt+F9 ?
I appreciate your help--Window's Help was not really extracting me from my
predicament and I was getting fairly desperate.
Jeannie
--
Jeannie

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The "Mark All" option applies only to "all occurrences that are in the file
right now", not to "all occurrences that may be added in the future". You're
going to have to mark the entries in the new pages as if those terms were
never marked at all.

There's some confusion (Microsoft's fault!) about Show/Hide vs. field codes.
For most fields, including the INDEX field, Show/Hide has no effect at all
on whether you see field codes or field results. For that you use Alt+F9
(for the whole document) or Shift+F9 or the right-click/Toggle Field Codes
command (for a single field). The index-marking (XE) fields and the
table-of-contents-marking (TC) fields are different -- they're formatted as
Hidden text, so Show/Hide does control them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2