TF

Gordon

Normal style is not set to Automatically update by default. Something else
(incompatible or malicious) on your computer has done that.

I agree with some of your points about the 'automation'. We have discussed
this with the developers - but there seems to be a bit of a Catch22 point
here. If the install has the automation turned off by default, then the
average user will never know about it and never reap its benefit. OTOH,
because a new user doesn't know what automation is active, all they see is
strange and unexpected affects. The 'turn on by default' party has won the
day!

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
: TF wrote:
: Example. You want to indent the first line
: : of a paragraph. Logical action, place the cursor at the beginning of
the
: : line and press tab. In Word? Oh no! That indents the WHOLE paragraph!
: : And that's the DEFAULT setting! And then you try to get it back to
where
: : it was in the first place. A real waste of time.
:
:
: Gordon
:
: What you have described above is NOT normal: it is because Normal Style
has
: been set to automatically update.
: If you use Format, Style and select
: Normal, you will see an Automatically Update check box that should be
: cleared.
:
: But that's just my point - that is the the *DEFAULT* setting - unless
: you "undo" it, that's how Word is installed. At least with Office XP.
: You shouldn't have to "undo" a function that isn't needed and causes a
: lot of irritation - those who DO need it should be able to enable it,
: not the other way around.
:
:
: What you say about just writting letters and memos is also nonsense.
Just
: writing a letter more than a couple of times means that you are
constantly
: typing in your address, entering the current date and a signature block,
: etc. All these repetitive actions are wasting your precious time. Spend
just
: five minutes creating a personailised letter template and reap the
rewards:
: you will never have to add your address or the current date again.
:
: Take some time and learn to use Word's powerful features: it will save
you
: loads of repetetive work and make your output consistent, error free and
: faster.
:
: Don't quite know where you got that lot from in my post :-) - I can't
: see any mention of that! Of *course* I use templates etc,and have done
: in all the WP apps I've ever used, my point was that Word does some very
: illogical and unintuitive things which other WP apps do NOT - and the
: "average" user (and by that I *don't* mean secretaries, I mean those
: people to whom Word is not something that they use sufficiently
: frequently to warrant advanced training in all it's functions) finds
: these blips frustrating.
:
:
:
: --
: Registered Linux User no 240308
: Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and
: counting!)
: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
: to email me remove the obvious!