Russ

Default ~$

So is there no way to recover the original text from a tmp file named wrs or
wrf? I am trying to recover a file I accidentally saved over.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I'm glad to hear you were able to recover the document. :-)

More than likely you found ~wrd002.tmp in the same folder as the document.

Out of all the temp files Word creates, this is the only one (~wrd*.tmp) that you could recover all of the document content.

Word creates this temp file Word when a document it saved. It creates/writes the temp file in the document folder, deletes the original, and moves the temp file to take the original's place.

The other temp file, called the Owner file, (~$*.do?) is created when you open a previously saved document and all it contains is user info.

This file is used if you attempt to open the document a second time, such as in a network environment. If Word finds the Owner file then you encounter a message along the lines of "Document in use by User Name".

--
Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup. Email requests for assistance can not be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/

"arhangelmihailo" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I did it, I got me out of this problem. I can't believe it was so simple!
Well, here it is. As we all know, there has to be a .tmp file that Word makes, and thx God this is very useful in case of Word (or comp) crashing. It is true that I only had to deal with 2 files: ~$plan2004.doc and plan2004.doc. And there was no other .tmp file, at frst sight. In fact, there was, but I had to dig it from the hard (God knows where I found it!), and it was hidden attributed. And, that is right, this file is named something like this ~wrd0002.tmp. It is slightly different from original (formated adds were not the same), but the content is untouched, and that is the most important. The rest was very easy...formating the content...save as...and that's it.
Thx Everyone! Now, I can keep my job!