As Daiya has implied, you get two choices: you can have the footnotes
uniformly end at the bottom margin by setting them to "Bottom of page," or
you can have the footnotes start a uniform distance below the last line of
text by setting them to "Below text." You can't have it both ways. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
You can't control the space between the main text and the footnote
separator. But the notes should extend to the bottom of the page, once
Word starts the notes, it tries to fill up that space to the bottom

margin.
Might there be an odd setting in some of your footers pushing the notes
upward? It's also possible that the notes are set to below text, but the
footnote separator has some Space Before attached to it.

To check the footnote separator line:
Switch into Normal View and go to View | Footnotes. A footnote pane will
open up at the bottom. Use the dropdown menu at the top of the pane to
access the separators. Use Format | Paragraph to see whether it has Space
Before set.

Make sure the notes are set to "bottom of page," not "below text" via

Insert
|Footnote or Insert | Reference, depends on version, post back if you

can't
find it.

View Headers/Footers and see if there is space above the footer text.

DM

On 11/30/04 6:57 AM, "F A L" wrote:

Can I (rather than MS Word) decide how much space I want between the

footnote
separator and the last line of the main text? I have modified the format

of
the separator, and that did reduce the space beteen the footnote area

and the
main text; I have also fixed for the whole document the page settings;

the
text alignment is "top" thoughout. And yet (1) Word leaves too much

space
between the main text and the footnote separator and (2) the last

footnote's
last line is not always at the bottom of the page. I gather this is a
consequence of the "top" aligment of the document, and this is the

reason why
i want to know whether the space between the footnotes and the main text

can
be modified, so to force the last footnote's last line of every page to
appear at least close to the bootm of it.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/