Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default The TOC does not indent heading level

If you are using the built-in headings, Outline view will work
properly. If not, you'd have to define the heading levels yourself
(either by directly applying them to paragraphs or by defining custom
styles).

For the general principles of Outline view, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingOLView.htm (note that the
article was not written for Word 2007, though).

The formatting of the TOC is determined by the TOC styles. Modify
their indents as desired. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html (again, the
instructions in that article were not directly targeted at Word 2007).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jwwegner" wrote in message
Using the outline view mode in Word 2007, the various levels were

not
indenting properly so I would set them with a right click and

"Change List
Level." Why do I have to do this?

And, now, when I'm trying to generate a table of contents with the

automatic
buttons under the Reference tab, the TOC comes into the document

with no
indenting of the various heading levels.