Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closer to the surface"

Like Suzanne, the first customisation I make to my Toolbars (both main
toolbar and the right-click toolbars that I use regularly) is to remove the
Cut/Copy/Paste commands - along with italic, bold and underline). I always
use the keyboard: a lifetime's habit (along with Control+S, Control+P and
other windows-wide keyboard commands).

In Word2007, I am particularly annoyed that not only is the Clipboard Group
given so much prominence on the Home Ribbon, but the Paste button is HUGE
and the Format Painter uses a humungous area of screen real estate because
it has been anointed with the words 'Format Painter' - which cannot be
turned off. Just how much in your face is that? That's not bringing a
command closer to the surface: it's slapping you in the face with a wet
kipper.

I understand that for most 'normal' users (read unskilled Word users) the
Paste button is the number 1 button. So what: why should that stop a skilled
user from having the choice to remove it?

Let's redesign the keyboard layout and put the skilled users keys underneath
to make more room for bigger keys for the unskilled users on top. There
could be a whopping great big return key to make sure that the unskilled
users are able to put in loads of space between paragraphs and an equally
huge spacebar so that the same users can line up their columns of text...

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:41:09 -0500 from Suzanne S. Barnhill
:
No, Word has always provided a variety of ways to accomplish any given
task,
to accommodate user preference insofar as possible, while still leaning
making the UI most accommodating for the majority of users. I'll also add
that many users *do* adopt at least some keyboard shortcuts when they are
introduced to them, but most casual Word users (and that includes a *lot*
of
users, since "everybody" has Word) don't have the same needs as power
users.

I remember support for this in the MS blog that Joann pointed me to a
few weeks ago. It said that even people who used Ctrl-V a lot also
clicked the Paste icon a lot. Since then I've paid attention, and
even though I'm a keyboard guy I find myself using that Paste icon.
:-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/