Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
me04984 me04984 is offline

Default How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

(207) 555-2462

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What do you get when you insert the mergefield without the switch?

me04984 wrote:
This is an old post but I find it helpful. However, when I put in the
code you suggest, I get ( )- -2462 for example, where it prints
only the last four. What format does the data base have to be in to
make it come out right? Actually, I would prefer having it listed as
207-555-2462 in my listings, if possible.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Did you update the field after adding the switch?

In your merge source document insert the phone number field. It will
look something like
phone
Right click and toggle the display. It will now look like
{Mergefield Phone}
Add the switch this
{Mergefield Phone \# "(###) ###'-'####"}
Press F9 to update
then toggle the display back again (if it has not already done so.)
Execute the merge to a new document.
Voila!

AnhVu wrote:
I tried to do like that. But No effect!!! Why?
First I merge from Word then I click in {...} I add \# .... and
nothing happend.
I tried to visit your web and tried every example. And no one
effect.Please help me. What step I wrong?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

{Mergefield Phone \# "(###) ###'-'####"}
see also http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Halley wrote:
I tried the following, and it did nothing. I tried a few other
variations, but they all gave me errors.

{ MERGEFIELD "PHONE" \"(###) ###-####"}