Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Linking to a Field

Cindy,
Ah, I figured there had to be a way, thanks! Now to update the rest of the
document and use it in future documents!

Thanks,
Shane

"Cindy M." wrote in message
Hi Sv,

I have 20 parts, each of which is shown on figure 6-3 and 40 parts, each
of
which is shown on figure 6-4.
The parts list for figure 6-3 shows, in the first column, nothing but
6-3's
and the parts list for 6-4 shows nothing but 6-4's.
This is as it should be.

Now, I insert a figure between them, which is automatically numbered as
6-4
(because of the SEQ command), and 6-4's figure number automatically
updates
to 6-5.
Unfortunately, the parts list for the old 6-4 (now 6-5) still shows all
"6-4" as they're all TEXT not fields or anything.
I'm looking for a way to have the figure number identifiers on the parts
list follow the number of the figure if it changes.

You can bookmark the entire figure number, then use a REF field instead of
the
static "6-n" numbering for each part. For example, you can select the 6-4
text
then Insert/Bookmark. Type a descriptive name (Part_test, for example).
Now
delete the 6-4 in front of a part designation, press Ctrl+F9 to insert
field
brackets and type REF Part_test. Shift+F9 will hide the field code. From
here
on, you can copy the field and paste it over the other numbers.

If you insert another set in front of the 6-4 information, once all the
fields
in the document are updated (Ctrl+A, F9 will force this), all the Ref
Part_test fields will display 6-5, same as the Figure caption.

Another way to do this would be to use Insert/References/Cross reference
but I
find that slower and less easy to maintain (the bookmark names are
many-digit
numbers) than the "manual approach".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland