Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Heading 1/2/3 TOC entries -- what's the secret to removing?

To add to what Jezebel has said, you can't change the outline level of the
built-in heading styles, so they are *always* going to appear in a TOC by
default. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for more.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Unfortunately the style arguments to the TOC field are not retained

between
updates. (Bug or design fault, depending on your point of view.) Two
work-arounds --

1. Reformat the imported matter to use non-TOC styles. (good solution)

2. Define the TOC field exactly as you want it. Define it as an autotext
entry. Re-insert as needed (cludgy solution)

Note that you can set the Outline level for your own styles, so you don't
need to do anything special to include them in the TOC.

"Graham Wideman [Visio MVP]" wrote in message
Folks:

1. Permanently unsetting Heading 1/2/3 TOC

We work with some docs that are assembled by copy-and-paste from other
docs.

In those docs, people have used Style Heading 1, 2 and 3 for random
purposes, not needed for the Table of Contents, and in the big doc we
define our own styles which we *do* want in the TOC.

No problem using the Edit Field TOC Options to set or unset

particular
styles to appear in the TOC. However, if we unset Heading 1, 2, 3 then
almost always when we later revisit that same dialog, Heading 1, 2 and 3
get reinstated for TOC levels 1, 2 and 3.

This seems to happen only as a result of opening the Options "Table of
Contents Options" dialog, and not before.

Anyone know what mechanism might be doing this? Is it perhaps copying
settings from some normal template or something?

2. Edit Field doesn't see TOC Field?
------------------------------------
And on a related note, if I select a TOC field in a Word doc, usually

the
Edit Field dialog already knows it's a TOC field and offers me a "Table

of
Contents..." button leading to the "Table of Contents" dialog. At other
times the Edit Field dialog seems to think this is a Formula field and
offers a "Formula..." button. At that point you have to respecify that
this is a TOC and not a formula. This doesn't seem right.

Anyone seen this or know why this happens?

Word 2003 SP2

Thanks,

Graham