TF

The ¾" margin is for trimming the page to allow for full bleeds. (What
waffle will I think of next!)

In reality, in 1980, the point was redefined as 0.013888" (the PostScript
Point). So 1638 x 0.013888 = 22.7485" (approx.). The whole mess of Point
Sizes is explained in the link below. I can only say that after reading it,
it is hardly surprising that Word repaginates whenever the printer driver is
changed.

http://home.att.net/~tom.brodhead/points.htm

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Thanks for the correction, Terry. I used to always look that figure up in
: "Limits for Word," but now that Word's Help no longer has that topic...
: sigh The curious thing is that either the Help topic or the KB or both
: implied that the 1,638-point limit was determined by Word's 22" page size
: limit. This was actually stated as 1,638 points = 22". Yet 1,638 points ÷
72
: points/inch = 22.75". I've never understood that.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Jim
:
: Not at All. Word will accept paper up to 22" x 22" on which a character
: 1,638 points (which is what Suzanne meant to type) in most fonts will
: comfortably fit on paper that size.
:
: Certainly a figure 8 in Arial, Bold 1,638points has room to spare!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
: : And the "tiny font" part comes from formatting the text at a very
small
: font
: : size. Although the smallest size shown in the spin box for Font Size
is
: 8
: : points, you can format text at any size from 1 point to 1,238 points,
: in
: : half-point increments. Just type the size you want into the box and
: press
: : Enter.
: :
: : Just a rhetorical question, Suzanne: who would ever use a 1,238 point
: : letter? At something over 17 inches, wouldn't this be a poster child
: : for the "jaggies?"
: :
: :
: : Blessed be, for sure...