Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

Default Excessively Confused: Why are TOC Considered "Headers?"

(Thank you to Doug Robbins.)

I spent the better part of a splendid Memorial Day trying to create my first
"automatic" TOC. I copied a "hand-made" TOC to a New Document, then went
through the InsertTables and Fields [this is WORD 2000](rest of the stuff).

Each time I did this and tried to apply the template to my Pasted selection,
an error message in BOLD showed up saying basically "There is No Text to
Apply Formatting To" (or something to that affect.

If you could tell me what I did wrong, I would very much appreciate it. And
again, I'm asking for the titles of any hard-copy books or websites where
mastering the more complex and technical aspects of WORD are taught. I
Firefox-ed a page that literally calls itself "Complex Aspects of WORD," but
for my purposes, I would appreciate a book or interactive CD.

Thank you.