Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Insert-Page Numbers greyed out

When you started Word with Ctrl pressed, did you get a message asking if you
wanted to start in Office Safe Mode? And say yes? If so, then this does seem
a very elusive problem, since it shouldn't even be affected by printer
issues (as Terry suspects).

http://word.mvps.org

"dizzyLuser" wrote in message
I was able to start Word in safe mode, then open the, that doesn't change
anything. (Usually I just double-click the file).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Try starting Word in Safe Mode (press Ctrl while it's loading) and see if
that solves the problem, and we'll take it from there.

http://word.mvps.org

"dizzyLuser" wrote in message
Yes, Word 2003. No protections, and I can write to it fine.

Is it a sign of some sort of corruption?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
From the terminology, I'm assuming this is Word 2003 or earlier. Is
the
document protected in any way?

http://word.mvps.org

"dizzyLuser" wrote in message
Oops, should've mentioned -- I put it into Print View, because I saw
some
hint that
was the best for page numbering. And that looks right, since
there's a
fairly sized
margin when I go into that view.

Good question, though, thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Are you perhaps in Web Layout view?

http://word.mvps.org

"dizzyLuser" wrote in
message
I'm trying to simply add page numbers, but both Insert-Page
Numbers
and
View-Header and Footer are greyed out. How would i reenable
these?

Thanks!