Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel Schaffer Daniel Schaffer is offline

Default Address templates in Word 2003

Many thanks, Jay and Terry. I'm beginning to catch on.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Word doesn't pay any attention to the folder under Program Files for
templates other than the "built-in" ones. It looks only in whatever
folders are listed as the "User templates" and "Workgroup templates"
locations in Tools Options File Locations (or, in Word 2007, in
Office button Word Options Advanced File Locations).

By default in Windows XP, the "User templates" location is
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.[1] If you want your template to appear on
the same tab of the dialog with Word's built-ins, then make a
subfolder in the Templates folder and name it "Letters & Faxes", and
put your template in there. If you make a folder whose name isn't one
of the existing tabs, then the folder name will appear as a new tab
(provided there's at least one template in the folder).

[1] A sometimes troublesome default is that the Application Data
folder is hidden, and My Computer won't show hidden folders. To be
able to see the folder and its subfolders, either enter the location
in the address bar as %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates, or open the My
Computer dialog Tools Folder Options and change the option to show
hidden folders.

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 15:44:00 -0500, "Daniel Schaffer"
wrote:

I had the same problem in Word 2003, so many thanks for the answer.

Here is a related problem. When I click on filenew document and then in
the
task pane click on "On my computer" under the Templates heading, the
dialog
that opens shows me all the templates except one I created myself. It's
present in Windows explorer if I go to Program
FilesMSOfficeTemplates1033, and I can open it from there. How do I tell
Word to include it my "letter" templates in the dialog?

Thanks in advance.

Dan S

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 04:11:00 -0800, Roybowls
wrote:

I have formatted a number of address templates in my new Word 2003 but
when I
open Word I can't find my templates. Previously, in my Word '97, I was
presented with my temples as soon I opened with the New button.

How do I find them in Word 2007?

Please decide whether you have Word 2003 or Word 2007. The answer is
quite different for these two versions.

~~~~~~~

In Word 2003 (and 2002, which you skipped over), the File New
command opens a task pane on the right side of the window. To see your
templates, click the "On my computer" link under the Templates heading
in the pane. The dialog that opens is nearly the same as the one in
Word 97.

If you want one-click access to the dialog, you can add a button to
the toolbar. Open the Tools Customize dialog; on the Commands tab,
select "All Commands" in the Categories list; then scroll down the
Commands list to FileNewDialog and drag that item from the list onto a
toolbar. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm
for illustrated instructions.

~~~~~~~

In Word 2007, click the Office button (the round object in the upper
left corner) and click New in the menu. In the dialog that appears,
click "My templates" in the list of links on the left. Again, the
dialog that opens is similar to the one in Word 97.

To get one-click access to this dialog, click the Office button and
click "Word Options" in the bottom of the menu. In the Options dialog,
click Customize on the left. Set the "Choose commands from" dropdown
to "Commands Not in the Ribbon". In the list below it, choose "New
Document or Template..." and click the Add button in the center of the
dialog, which adds the item to the list on the right. You can
optionally click the upward button to the right of the list to change
the item's position. When you click OK, the button will be added to
the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman