Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
WjPrince WjPrince is offline

Default need help with page numbering.

Lynne...

You win. Thank you.
Now I meet my deadline. Now I get paid.

"Lynne" wrote:

If you are using section breaks for the footnotes, can you place your page
numbers in a page footer? By deselecting the same as previous icon on the
headers and footers toolbar. You can format your page numbers to start at a
particular number i.e. section 1 finishes at page 34, but section 2 then
starts from page 35.

"WjPrince" wrote:

but because I'm using section breaks so the footnotes will restart I can't
just split to page number formats into two different sections.
Usually I'd just separate the front matter and the body of the book so the
numbering can be different. But each chapter is a new section break. After
the front matter I want to numbering to run through all the other breaks
continuously.

"Rae Drysdale" wrote:

You seem to be using Section Breaks, so hopefully all you need to do, is when
inserting the footnotes, see the Format | Numbering part of the dialog box,
and select Restart each section. Does this work for you?
--
Rae Drysdale

"WjPrince" wrote:

Someone help me!!!!

I'm formatting a book in word. It has a title page, which shouldn't have a
page number or a header or footer. Then it has pages of front matter
(acknowledgments, preface, table of content etc) that I want to number in
roman numerals at the bottom centre. Then Chapter 1 begins and is numbered
book style with the author and page number on the left page and the book
title and page number on the right page. I need the page numbering to start
1,2,3 etc from the beginning of chapter 1 through to the end.
The real diffficulty is that the footnote reference numbers have to start
afresh from 1 at the beginning of each chapter so each chapter is a new
section break.

I've racked my brains but am stuck. Any advice would be greatly greatly
recieved.

Many thanks guys
WjPrince