Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Ctrl-a, F9 doesn't work to update all fields including TOC

To clarify, when "Update fields before printing" is selected in Word
Options, you should be *prompted* to update the TOC when printing, but not
necessarily when previewing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Select All (Ctrl+A) followed by F9 should definitely work, with the
exception of fields in text boxes or headers or footers, none of which
will be included when you Select All in the main body of the document.

Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then going back to the previous
view (ESC) should work with several types of fields, including those in
headers, footers, and text boxes. However, this approach does *not* work
with TOCs, which must be updated manually, with F9, or via the update on
print option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TechWriter7" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

Ctrl-a, F9 doesn't work to update all fields including TOC. I've
checked for previous threads and tired the recommendations without
success (see list below). The document is only 31 pages so isn't
particularly long and is version controlled in Sharepoint. I have other
documents where ctrl-a, F9 still works so I believe this to be a problem
with the document itself. The problem document is a template from
someone else, but I have it checked out with write access.

I have tried the following:
1. Updating the cross-references or TOC individually work
2. Right-mouse on the cross-references does not show any grey'd out
items indicating they are not locked fields. Anyway, I have also used
ctrl-a, ctrl-shift-F11 to unlock them all just in case
3. I have used F9 to reveal the codes and everything looks fine
4. Switching to print preview and back again does not fully update the
TOC eg to list new sections. I have "update fields before printing"
selected in Word Options - Display

I've now run out of ideas. Any help most appreciated.

Cheers, TW7

--
TechWriter7