Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default how do i make crosswords

I'd have to say that Word would be a frustrating tool to try to use
for creating crossword puzzles.

You might try making a table with the appropriate number of rows and
columns. Click Table Autofit Fixed column width. Click Table
Table Properties Rows, check "Specify height", and set an Exact
height to make the cells approximately square. Use Format Borders &
Shading (or the shading button on the Table toolbar) to fill certain
squares with black. Below the table, insert a section break and then
use Format Columns to make the section for the clues.

Word won't give you any help at all for deciding where to put the
words so they intersect, or for numbering the cells properly.

Instead, you should first search Google for the terms

crossword puzzle create

and look at the various programs -- online or downloadable, free or
commercial -- that are made specifically for the job. I haven't tried
any of them, but I was impressed by the description of Crossword
Compiler (http://www.crossword-compiler.com/).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman