Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default editing feilds

Just to spell it out as best I can:

The text within these field codes is ordinary text (although the special ()
are not) - once you can see it (use Alt-F9 to "toggle" between "view field
codes" and "view field results") you can select and format it just as you
would format ordinary text in a Word document.

However, every field code does something different, and in some cases the
field code will discard your formatting, which is why the formatting does
not work within a { MERGEFIELD } field. It does, however work (broadly
speaking) when you format the "result text" of an IF field.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"********Meg" wrote in message
thanks, I think I understand what you are saying, but I'm not clear in how
to do the formatting. This is VERY new for me.

here is what I have
{mergefeild Required Reading\b "required reading:'}

I want the text Required Reading (which is the text that will appear if
there is anything in the field ) to be bold and the content of the field
to be italics (i.e., it's a book title so it should be).

Ex:
Required Reading (in bold): How to use excel, by So and So (in italics)

thanks for your help, if this can work. it would be GREAT!

Meg

"Microsoft Public Groups" wrote in
message ...
Assuming you are using

{ MERGEFIELD myfield \b "beforetext: " }

I don't think you can achieve the formatting you need using that
technique
(even replacing "beforetext" by "{ QUOTE beforetext: \*Charformat } and
formatting the Q the way you want does not work).

Instead, try

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" = "" "" "beforetext:: { MERGEFIELD
myfield\*Charformat }" }

then format beforetext: the way you want it and format the M of the
second
MERGEFIELD the way you want it.

Ensure all the {} are ht especial field code braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"********Meg" wrote in message
I recently learned (very happily, I might add) to edit a mail merge field
to include text before or after that field. Another fabulous feature is
that the text will not appear if there is no data in the datasource for
that particular record. This is a very cool feature. (office 2003)

However, I want to format both the text that is before the field and the
actual data in the field (one would be bold and one would be italics)
When I change the info in my form, it looks good, but when I do the
merge,
all of the formatting disappears. If I italicize the information in the
data source document , it looses it's formatting as well.

any ideas?

thanks

--
Meg