Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default elongated double space

I've never encountered the problem, so it's hard for me to speculate--the
settings I was thinking of I'm not sure get embedded in a document. The fact
that the problem attaches itself to a document is interesting. Like Suzanne,
I'd be interested in taking a look to see if something leaps out at me. If
you'd care to email me a sample, my email address is herb at herbtyson dot
com (disguised a little to try to thwart spam address harvesters).

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
Thanks very much Herb.
We use Word 2003, and full justification is turned off. All our docs have
text aligned to the left. Any idea what those funky settings might be?

The problem seems to be unique to one user. We all start docs from the
same
template, and no-one else's computer generates the elongated double
spaces.
However, when we open a doc that that one user created with the elongated
double spaces on our own computer, the odd, elongated spacing persists
within
the doc, even in new sentenes and paragraphs that someone else
subsequently
adds. If this writer opens and works on a doc that someone else started,
the
double-spacing seems to behave normally.

So, this is what I surmise. The template is fine. The problem originates
with settings in one person's computer. Opening the doc on someone else's
computer does not solve the problem. The problem seems to attach itself
to a
doc.

As to others who have so generously weighed in on the
double-vs.-single-space-at-the-end-of-a-sentence issue, regardless of what
anyone thinks is proper or old-fashioned, Word is behaving strangely and
I'd
like to get it fixed.

Any clues as to how to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Some combinations of settings can produce funky stuff if full
justification
is being used. Does it still act odd if justification is turned off? What
version of Word is being used? (If Word 2007, take a look at the Layout
options in Word Options - Advanced, very bottom of the dialog. Are any of
them turned on? All turned off is the default for Word 2007--if any are
turned on, ask why, and see if they're related to how Word treats
spaces.)

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
A person on my team is getting funky spacing when he types a double
space
at
the end of a sentence. Instead of using normal proportional spacing,
Word
stretches out the double space so that it looks more like a triple or
quadruple space.

Single spaces between words behave normally, as do all other
characters.

Is there some setting that causes elongated double spacing?

To add a wrinkle, he has both Asian and Arabic characters installed on
his
computer.