Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default How do I bind a minus sign to a number to remain on same line?

Yves, many thanks. I have found the non-breaking hyphen 2011 character under
Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode and Palatino Linotype.
Thanks again, all the best.
DeanH

"Yves Dhondt" wrote:

It will depend on the available fonts and their version.

I noticed on Word 2007, when I use the default font (Calibri) and type 2011,
ALT+X, my font gets automatically switched to MS Gothic. I'm guessing this
is the work of uniscribe behind the curtains, but I can't say for sure.

On my system, the following fonts seem to support U+2011:
Arial Unicode MS
Lucida Sans Unicode
Meiryo
MS Gothic
MS Mincho
MS PGothic
MS PMincho
MS UI Gothic
Palatino Linotype

According to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...872311033.aspx you
should have at least 2 of these, but they might be the wrong versions:
Arial Unicode MS
Palatino Linotype

Yves

"DeanH" wrote in message
Yves, thanks for the response. As you can probably see from the other
postings, I cannot find U+2011 in the symbols listing.
I am on 2003/XP does this affect the listing?
DeanH

"Yves Dhondt" wrote:

Strictly speaking, Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen defines an open xml noBreakHypen
element which only exists in Word. This is neither a non-breaking hyphen
nor
a non-breaking minus sign. There does exist a real non-breaking hyphen
(U+2011) and a minus sign (U+2212).

You should try displaying the three symbols next to each other on a line
in
Word to see the difference.

Yves

"DeanH" wrote in message
You use a Non-Breaking-Hyphen. Press Ctrl+Shft+Hyphen to create.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"baugd" wrote:

I want to bind a minus sign to a number so that the entire construct
remains
on the same line and not split between two lines (e.g., -21% on same
line
versus - on one line and 21% on next line).

Thanks,
Drew Baughman

.

.