Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default search and replace 1) and 2)...12)

"Brent" wrote:
Hi I have a doc that I need to replace a series of numbers with parens 1)
stuff 2) stuff.... 15) stuff etc

I want to replace the 1) ..15) with a 1, etc I tried using wild cards
but it will not let me work with the ) Any ideas how I can do this?

Hi Brent,

Since parentheses are used in wildcard matches to delimit groups, you have
to "escape" them with a backslash in "Find what":

Find what: (^13[0-9]{1,2})\)
Replace with: \1

I included the preceeding paragraph mark ^13 since else the expression might
match numbers in parentheses -- such as in bibliography entries like
"(Darwin 1859)".

Regards,
Klaus