We are referring here to direct font formatting, and character styles are
still direct font formatting. But I did try this, and it seems you're right
(though I'm not sure why). Still, although the workaround works, it should
not be necessary and isn't necessary when the fundamental required
correction is applied.

"Word Heretic" wrote in message
G'day Suzanne,

Incorrect. As strong is a character style it will not affect the
paragraph style definition which is what occurring for this user by
using direct formatting.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Suzanne S. Barnhill reckoned:

This would in no way solve the problem, as applying Strong would merely
apply strong to the entire document until the underlying problem (styles
updating automatically) is dealt with.