Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default Hide ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

Although turning off Fast Saves is an important step, I don't think it has
much to do with the temp files hanging around after the document is closed.
Here are some things that do have an effect:

- If you're working on a network share or mapped drive, or on a local hard
drive that has NTFS formatting, make sure you have Full Control, or at least
the Read, Write, and Modify rights for that folder. To check it, right-click
the folder, select Properties, and click the Security tab. If you don't have
Modify rights, Word won't be able to delete any files from that folder.

- If Word has crashed, it won't have had a chance to delete the temp files
from that session.

To deal with the leftovers, see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The first thing to do is disable Fast Saves. It doesn't really make
any difference in save speed and it is one of the top three causes of
document corruption.

"Jon Straub" wrote in message
Good advice.

I have a question about why the tmp files don't go away after the
file is closed.

I get a constant build up of ~wsomething.tmp and ~name.doc files
when I use word from
office xp. I save my files when I close word. I have auto save
turned on and allow fast save. I don't understand why the tmp files
don't go away after I close word.

and how do I change settings so these files don't keep piling up.

thanks

jon

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
The short answer: don't open documents directly on the desktop.
Instead, store the documents in any other folder. If you want an
icon on the desktop, make a shortcut to the document's actual
location.

Word has strict rules about temporary files, and some of the are
required to be in the same folder as the document itself
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632). If that folder is the
desktop, then the temp files will be there too. There's nothing you
can do about that.

If the document is in another folder, you won't have to look at the
temp files.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:32:01 -0700, shogarth
wrote:

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?