Aelfgifu

Yes, thank you for that advice. I found your MVP website article on that
topic after I posted this one. I'm not sure (yet) if it entirely fixed the
problem, but Word behaved much better after switching all that stuff off.

Do you think having this switched on would cause things like tables
mysteriously assuming the style of the previous paragraph? I had a style
called Subtitle (defined as dark blue, small caps, centred) immediately above
two tables in a document. Closed the document and reopened it and ALL text in
ALL tables in the doc had become dark blue, small caps and centred, even the
ones that were nowhere near a Subtitle paragraph.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you made sure to disable "Define styles based on my formatting" and
"Automatic headings"?